Intermittent Fasting 101: What is Intermittent Fasting and How can it Help You to Stay Energetic, Fit and Healthy?
So what is Intermittent Fasting, you may ask? And why should you pay attention to this so-called health phenomenon?
Well Intermittent Fasting isn't new at all, even though with the spread of Social Media, it may be that you are seeing more and more of it in your newsfeed these days.
So for those who are looking to either lose weight, improve energy levels or even improve their overall health in general, this may be something on your radar to help support your wellness goals.
So let's dive in a bit, shall we?
What exactly IS Intermittent Fasting?
Intermittent Fasting (also referred to as "Nutritional Cleansing") is simply an eating pattern where you cycle between periods of eating and fasting. There are many versions and schedules that are popular, one of my favorites being a schedule of 5 to 6 shake days followed by 1-2 fast or cleanse days.
"As far back as the 1930s, scientists have been exploring the benefits of reducing calories by skipping meals. During that time, one American scientist found that significantly reducing calories helped mice live longer, healthier lives. More recently, researches have found the same in fruit flies, roundworms and monkeys. Studieshave also shown that decreasing calorie consumption by 30 to 40 percent (regardless of how it’s done) can extend life span by a third or more. Plus, there’s data to suggest that limiting food intake may reduce the risk of many common diseases. And some believe fasting may also increase the body’s responsiveness to insulin, which regulates blood sugar, helping to control feelings of hunger and food cravings." (DailyBurn.com)
What are some of the Health Benefits of Intermittent Fasting?
- Blood levels of insulin drop significantly, lowering diabetes risk
- Human Growth Hormone can increase by as much as 5X! (click here to learn more- Could Routine Cleanse Days help you live longer?)
- Beneficial changes in genes and molecules in relation to longevity and disease
- Can help reduce belly fat and weight (What happens to body fat during a Nutritional Cleanse?)
- Can reduce insulin resistance
- Can reduce oxidative stress and inflammation in the body
- Aid in the removal of toxins and impurities from the body through Nutritional Cleansing
- Increases Energy
- Improves Memory, Clarity and Cognition
*For more information, please click here to listen to an excellent podcast about Intermittent Fasting from Dr. Michael Colgan. *
How Long Should I Fast with Intermittent Fasting?
Studies have shown that 24-48 hours is most effective and that the majority of the fat burning and hormone boosting occurs on the second day.
Tips for more Effective Intermittent Fasting and Cleanse Days:
- Stay Hydrated to aid your body in removing impurities (Goal- 4 L/1G water per day!)
- Follow a Schedule and stick to it!!
- Stay Rested- you may feel tired when on a fast or cleanse day so be sure to get enough rest always!
- Don't overdo your exercise - light exercise such as walking or yoga are fine but pay attention to your body! You know what you can handle! ;)
- Incorporate liquid nutrition such as the Cleanse for Life drink during your fast so that your body will continue to metabolize yet not digest
- Follow-up your Fast/Cleanse day with a superfood nutrient-rich Undenatured protein shake to refuel your body properly (what to look for in a protein shake?)
*Next, learn more of the top FAQs and tips for Intermittent Fasting and Nutritional Cleansing and tips to help get better results!
**And be sure to Watch our #StoikedLIVE interview with Personal Trainer and Nutritionist, Rachel Walton- she shares her investigation into Intermittent Fasting and Nutritional Cleansing and what she chose to help her and her clients to find the best results:
- Nutritional Cleansing FAQ's and Tips
- TOP Tips to Breakthrough a Weight Loss Plateau
- Meal Prep Tips for Newbies- Easy ways to simplify your weekly meal prep!
- Stressed? Check out the Best Secret Weapon to fighting stress in the body, Naturally!